Friday, January 31, 2014

58. Cutie and the Boxer (2013)

January 29, 2014

Cutie and the Boxer was the first documentary film I think I've ever actually loved. From the opening scenes I was hooked. It follows an elderly couple, Ushio and Noriko Shinohara, who are both respected artists trying to sell their art to pay the bills. Ushio has several large pieces of art made of cardboard, and some paintings he made by taping sponges to boxing gloves, dipping the sponges in paint, and boxing the canvases. Noriko has a series of drawings that she calls Cutie and Bullie, which are her representations of her own marriage and life. Together, they deal with prospective art buyers and art galleries while just trying to pay the rent. The couple is so fun and interesting that I didn't want the movie to end. It seems crazy to me, but I would actually want to see a sequel to a documentary!

No comments:

Post a Comment