Thursday, January 30, 2014

43. All Is Lost (2013)

January 22, 2014

I can only assume a lot of hard work and perseverance went into making All Is Lost, and I appreciate that. It can't be easy to make an entire movie about one guy on a boat that is sinking, but they managed to pull it off. That said, it is a movie about a guy on a boat that is sinking. Pretty boring. I was definitely intrigued at first, but half way through I think I just wanted him to give up so they could end the movie. He didn't give up, though. When his boat went under, he got on his inflatable raft and salvaged as much supplies as he could. The ending leaves some things up to interpretation, like whether or not he dies or gets saved, and I would have preferred a much more definitive ending. Very strong performance by Robert Redford, who stars as the only person in the film, and is credited as "Our Man". Watch it if you like bleak, desolate movies with no clear resolution.

No comments:

Post a Comment