Thursday, January 30, 2014

48. Dodgeball (2004)

January 25, 2014

I worked at a movie theater when Dodgeball came out, but I never saw it until now. I did have to clean the theater during the credits, so I was well aware of the morbidly obese Ben Stiller singing Kelis' Milkshake. That was never very funny to me, but seeing it now (in context), gives me an appreciation for it. I actually really enjoyed Dodgeball. Ben Stiller runs a multi-million dollar uber-gym, for the beautiful people, and across the street in a run-down brick building, Vince Vaughn runs a gym for the regular people who can't afford a personal trainer, but can appreciate the laid back atmosphere there. When Stiller threatens to buy Vaughn's gym and turn it into a parking lot, Vaughn and his friends from the gym decide to compete in a dodgeball tournament to make enough money to keep the gym open. Stiller finds out about the competition and decides to join to make sure they don't win, and the two teams work their way to the championship match, ending in a one-on-one sudden death throw out that Vaughn chooses to do blind-folded. The supporting cast is really what makes this movie hilarious, with Alan Tudyk, Justin Long, Stephen Root, Rip Torn, and a bunch of other funny people. It isn't touching or intelligent or anything like that, but it is worth watching for a good laugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment