Thursday, January 23, 2014

3. American Hustle (2013)

January 1, 2014

I find it difficult to talk about American Hustle without sounding like I hated it, which I didn't. American Hustle seems like one of those movies that was made for the sole purpose of winning awards. It had a smug feeling of self-worth that oozed from every scene. It wasn't groundbreaking or particularly moving, and not worth the hype it received. Don't get me wrong, I really didn't dislike it by any means, it just didn't feel that important or memorable or even necessary. The characters (aside from Jeremy Renner) weren't very likeable, although they were all good performances. The film tells the story of a petty con artist (Christian Bale) who is married (to Jennifer Lawrence) and falls in love with his con artist partner (Amy Adams). Then they get tangled up in an overzealous FBI agent's (Bradley Cooper) plot to take down some crooked politicians and crime bosses. The only part of this movie that really resonated with me was Jeremy Renner's performance as Mayor Carmine Polito. He made the movie worth the watch and I still feel for his character. All in all I'd say watch it to say you've seen it (and maybe you'll really love it) but don't expect to be blown away.

No comments:

Post a Comment