Thursday, January 30, 2014

45. The Act of Killing (2012)

January 23, 2014

I don't often get excited about documentaries, but when I saw the trailer for The Act of Killing I knew I had to see it. I wish I would have stopped at the trailer, though. The movie was about Indonesian gangster/executioner Anwar Congo, who was responsible for the deaths of thousands of people 40 years ago. The premise of the movie, or at least what I gathered from the trailer, was that a film crew would go talk to this guy and get him to revisit and stage his mass killings on film to show him what a monster he was. He eventually seemed like he kind of felt sorry for what he did, but he still seemed like he was proud of it. I think the one thing the film really accomplished was it made me never want to go to Indonesia, which is a shame because I'd love to travel to that area someday. If it was made as an anti-tourism film, then it really worked, but if its intentions were to teach an evil man a lesson in humanity, I'm afraid it failed.

No comments:

Post a Comment