Monday, February 10, 2014

83. Cry-Baby (1990)

February 9, 2014

I tried watching Cry-Baby years ago and I don't think I made it more than 15 minutes in. Now that I'm more of a John Waters fan, I decided I'd give it another chance, and I'm glad I did. It wasn't what I might call a 'good' movie, but it definitely had some charm. A lot of the John Waters regulars were there, as well as Johnny Depp in the leading role as Cry-Baby. Cry-Baby leads a gang of drapes, which look like hillbilly greasers, who are just into having fun and making music, until one day when he falls for a square girl. The other squares take offense to Cry-Baby dating one of their own, and start a turf war with the drapes, which ends in Cry-Baby going to jail. When the square girl's square grandma has a change of heart, she basically convinces the Judge to release Cry-Baby, and the two live happily ever after. It was a fun movie, with a fantastic supporting cast including Susan Tyrrell, Iggy Pop, Joe Dallesandro, Traci Lords, and Ricki Lake. On a side note, my wife and I are pretty convinced that we once sat next to John Waters at an Of Montreal concert in Lawrence, KS. If it wasn't him, it was his twin.

No comments:

Post a Comment