Saturday, November 29, 2014

446. Chef (2014)

November 29, 2014

A few minutes in, I was more than ready to turn 'Chef' off. Jon Favreau's mile-a-minute talking was reminiscent of a Woody Allen movie and I can't stand Woody Allen. I pushed on though, and I'm glad I did because the movie actually turned out to be pretty good. Favreau played a chef under extreme stress when one of the most revered food critics (Oliver Platt) announced he was going to be dining at his restaurant. Favreau's boss, Dustin Hoffman, didn't want to stray from the menu because people know and love the menu, so Favreau made his usual and the critic panned him for being needy and boring. Favreau took it personal and took to twitter to have Platt come back for some real food, but again Hoffman refused to let Favreau stray from the menu, so Favreau quit. His ex-wife's (Sofia Vergara) ex-husband (Robert Downey Jr.) bought a food truck for him and together with his son and best friend (John Leguizamo) they made food truck history. I'm not that interested in food or food preparation, and this movie builds itself on an unnatural food obsession, but there was enough extra stuff (like the relationship between Favreau and his son) to make me entertained. I suppose I would recommend it, especially to people who really love their food.

No comments:

Post a Comment