Sunday, November 9, 2014

407. Under the Skin (2013)

November 9, 2014

I don't know if I hated this movie or if I loved it. I am reasonably sure, however, that this was probably somebody's recurring dream that they wrote down into a book and then Jonathan Glazer, a guy who had previously been very successful in the music video business, probably told some producers he could get Scarlett Johansson to get completely naked for a movie and they threw a bunch of money at him to make it so. It was definitely weird, and will likely end up on a bunch of people's lists of weird movies someday. There were parts I really enjoyed and boring bits that didn't need to be there and parts I had no clue what was going on. Here is what I got out of it (Major Spoiler Alert!!!): Some kind of alien creature wearing a human skin (Johansson) sucked the life out of horny, young men to stay alive. She didn't have much of a life to begin with though, and just kind of wandered around from place to place looking for more men to... preserve in some kind of liquid until their insides decomposed and they were nothing but a skin sack. Meanwhile, some guy on a motorcycle served as some sort of handler for her and cleaned up her messes. She met a guy with neurofibromatosis and decided to let him go and seemed like she started feeling bad for the guys until she ended up getting raped and then set on fire to die. If I was going to compare it to anything it would be to take 'Koyaanisqatsi', 'Xtro', 'Drive', and Cash Cab and throw them all in a blender, then get Scarlett Johansson and a handful of guys to get naked for a two hour music video and you would have 'Under the Skin'. Maybe I missed something, but that is pretty much what I got out of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment