Sunday, April 13, 2014

184. Whip It (2009)

April 13, 2014

I haven't liked Ellen Page since I saw (and despised) the movie Hard Candy, and I haven't liked pretty much any movie that she has popped up in since then. With that in mind, I still decided to give Whip It a chance. Probably because it was directed by Drew Barrymore and I saw the trailer before some other movie and it looked alright. I ended up actually really liking it though, and I think my opinion on Ellen Page may have shifted just a little bit. I was impressed that this movie actually explained the rules of roller derby, which made for a much more pleasant viewing experience than Unholy Rollers. I also really liked that Daniel Stern was in it, because he is awesome and should be in a lot more movies. I'd say Whip It was definitely worth watching for an enjoyable sports movie.

5 comments:

  1. So... where do you stand on "Super"?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still haven't seen it, it has been on my queue for a while... Should I watch it?

      Delete
  2. I really enjoyed it, and I would have thought it right in your wheelhouse - until I learned of your Ellen Page aversion...

    I still think you'd like it - it's James Gunn after all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll check it out. I'll still watch her movies, I just don't think she is that great of an actress. I do love James Gunn!

      Delete
    2. Hey, I don't remember if I told you or not, but I did finally watch Super, and I absolutely loved it! I actually like Ellen Page now. Honestly, the reason I didn't like her to begin with was Hard Candy. I hated that movie and I was disappointed by Inception.

      Delete