Saturday, March 1, 2014

129. Day of the Dead (1985)

March 1, 2014

A friend of mine recently rewatched Day of the Dead and told me he didn't think it held up very well. With that in mind, I decided to watch it and see if he was right. He did have a bit of a point, especially in comparison to Dawn of the Dead which held up just fine, but I still really enjoyed Day of the Dead. I believe this was the first zombie movie to introduce the concept of zombies beginning to re-adapt to society and learn the things they knew when they were alive. When a scientist tries to condition a captured zombie, whom he has affectionately named Bub, the despotic military leader, Rhodes, threatens to shut down the whole operation and destroy all of the zombies. This leads to a pretty chaotic rift among the members of the small group of survivors, pitting the military against the scientists. The military has more guns, and initially has the upper hand, but the scientists have more brains and ultimately come out ahead. Worth seeing for Tom Savini's incomparable zombie effects and makeup, Day of the Dead is in my opinion a fitting chapter in George Romero's ongoing dead series. Also, I should mention that the version I watched was the new Scream Factory blu-ray which looked spectacular as usual.

No comments:

Post a Comment