Friday, July 25, 2014

315. I Am Divine (2013)

July 25, 2014

I really love John Waters' movies, and I've always been intrigued by his muse and star, Divine, but I've never known that much about him. This documentary, 'I Am Divine' gave a very revealing and loving glimpse into the life of this amazing person and one of, if not the most iconic figures in the history of underground cinema. The man who would come to be known as Divine was born Harris Glenn Milstead, a shy, rotund little boy in Baltimore in the mid-1940's. He met John Waters in high school and the two became inseparable, making films about shocking subject material just for the fun of it. When they made their breakthrough hit film, 'Pink Flamingos', about the trashiest family ever, Divine shot to superstar status and partied with the biggest names in the business. Sadly, he died at the very young age of 42 at the pinnacle of his acting career. I highly recommend this film, as it is a very endearing portrait of a truly unique individual.

No comments:

Post a Comment