Monday, September 22, 2014

353. Bad Boy Bubby (1993)

September 22, 2014

I found 'Bad Boy Bubby' on a list of "weird" movies that someone posted. Since it was one of the few on the list that I hadn't seen (and the list was pretty good) I had to check it out. Within the first few minutes I was hooked, and by the end it had already cemented a place in my favorite movies of all time. Nicholas Hope stars as Bubby, a 35 year old man who lives with his mother in a small flat and has never been outside and has never met another person aside from his mother. His mother tells him the air outside is poisoned and she wears a gas mask every time she leaves. When Bubby's father shows up after three and a half decades of absence, Bubby's life gets turned upside down, and after an unfortunate incident with a cat, Bubby finds out that the air is in fact not poisoned. He manages to escape and is immediately thrust into the real world, all alone and oblivious to everything. Since he had no social contact throughout his life, he communicates primarily by mimicking and winds up getting in and out of trouble as he struggles to fit in with the world around him. Hope's Bubby is the most innocent, heartfelt performance I've probably ever seen and the film deserves a lot more recognition. I strongly recommend seeing this movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment